In last Thursdays post, I briefly covered FreeMind, a free to download mind-mapping application I use quite often in campaign building. Today I’ll go into further detail, using FreeMind to create a frozen tundra. For the record, I have no ideas at this point for this adventure.
Creating a new MindMap with FreeMind is easy. At first, you’re greeted by “New MindMap” within a bubble, called a node. This is where we put the locale, in my case it’s the Bleak Fallows. The Bleak Fallows resides within Letherna, the Raven Queen’s realm within the Shadowfell. The new Shadowfell: Gloomwrought book details the Bleak Fallows in a single paragraph, basically saying it’s a frozen tundra where lost souls go (doesn’t even say why).
- Step 1: Building the locale with locations
- Ice Plateau/Frozen Lake
- Ice Cliffs/Caverns
- Underground River
It occurred to me while brainstorming that weather played as significant a role as locations within a” frozen tundra” locale. So, we need a new child node simply called “weather”, then that child has more children, and those children even more children (I know, kids these days).
On a document, filling out a MindMap would most likely look like an outline:
- Total concealment from anything two squares away or more.
- Speed reduced by 2.
- Icy wind blows in random (1d8) directions each round; creatures ending their turn without cover take 2d10 + 15 cold damage.
- Athletics and Acrobatics checks increased by 10.
- Extreme wind blows in random (1d8) directions each round; moving into the wind costs two extra squares of movement.
- Blinding light reflects off the snow, creatures two squares away or more are concealed.
- At the end of an encounter, players must succeed on an Endurance Check (Hard) or become sunburned.
- A sunburned character gains vulnerable 10 cold and fire (as if diseased).
- Extreme Cold
- Cold seeps into the bones, attack rolls of creatures without the cold keyword are at -2.
- At the end of an encounter, players must succeed on an Endurance Check (Hard) or gain Hypothermia.
- Ice Plateau / Frozen Lake
- Iceberg Lake
- Encounter: A large lake surrounded by sheer jagged cliffs of ice. The lake is spotted with enough icebergs too cross, but something lurks beneath the waters.
- Thin Ice
- Skill Challenge: The icebergs begin to form land, but the crossing grows dangerous as hidden pockets of thin ice shatter beneath the weight of those above.
- Ice holes
- The icebergs form a singular mass of land
- Rarely seen large perfectly symmetrical holes are void of ice, water laps at its edges.
- Optional Encounter: Animals often gather at these holes for sustenance.
- Barren like a desert, cold instead of hot
- Little to no resources or cover of any kind.
- Unable to forage.
- Group Endurance Checks (Moderate) to fight off Hypothermia.